From 1672 until 1922, the Society of Apothecaries manufactured medicinal and pharmaceutical products onsite, and sold some of their products from a retail outlet known as ‘The Shop’ opening onto Water Lane (now Blackfriars Lane). Much of the manufactured drugs were to supply clients of the society which included the navy and the army.
Reimagined, the new Shop opened its doors in September 2021 as an elegant entrance and foyer to the hall complete with a champagne bar and a roaring fire. French doors open to the courtyard making it ideal for summer pre-dinner drinks and receptions.
The bar takes its inspiration from the original dispensing counter and drawers whilst original apothecary jars decorate the walls.
This beautiful room can be used as an additional reception space before dinner or for post-dinner drinks. It can also be used in conjunction with the courtyard in the summer.